What do I need to have an online store?
An ecommerce website - (Joomla content management system)
- A store software suite - popular one is Virtuemart this is what is actually integrated into your site and allows you to add, remove, and modify products, accept payments, have a "shopping cart" system, and handle your customer's user accounts. This serves as the link between your customers placing orders and you receiving them. This connects to your merchant account(b) through your SSL(c).
- Your merchant account- is what allows you to accept payments. The merchant account is set up between you and a merchant provider, and does not have anything to do with us - your store software connects through our server, to the merchant provider's server and sends it the credit card details your customer just typed into the store software's customer interface. The merchant provider then charges the customer's card, and moves the funds into your account with them. How you get paid by the merchant provider varies from provider to provider, but normally they will either deposit into your account directly, send you a check, or send you a PayPal payment. The credit card information, when in transit between your client's computer and your server must be encrypted for safety reasons. This is why you need an SSL certificate(c).
- The SSL certificate can be thought of as a lockbox for your data - while it doesn't make it any harder for anyone to get ahold of the data, it encrypts it to the point that nobody can understand it. In addition to encrypting data, the SSL shows visitors that your business is legitimate, and will not attempt to defraud them in any way.
- Hosting option and dedicated IP address- Host Gator business plan
- Paypal- setting up a paypal account and integration with your website and Local bank
- Optional - additional features for the website.